Sunday, February 10, 2013

Learning from SEED


I was inspired this week. Inspired by a local nonprofit that is taking on the challenge of education by combining lessons from nature with the physical space where children learn. The project is called the SEEDcollaborative.

I am rarely struck with the desire to follow an entrepreneurial path in my career. I prefer the safety and larger impact that working for a large company provides. I feel very fortunate to work in one where I feel I have that opportunity. This quarter, we have been investigating the differences between business philosophies of a start-up vs a mature company, and in every discussion I have felt much more comfortable with the mature company. My work style resonates with distinct roles and job descriptions, and the delivery focus rather than inventing and prototyping. I also prefer the established market since it (at least in theory) helps buffer the risk of failure.

However, this week I found a start-up that caught my interest. SEED is a Seattle based non-profit that is currently a side job/hobby for three local entrepreneurs that I have crossed paths with on various other professional projects. They are designing a living building classroom that could be put on practically any site in the world. It is self-contained, non-toxic, transportable, and totally functional for all energy and water. It is the ultimate classroom.

SEED is working with one of my school districts to have students design their own SEED classroom, and eventually propose it to the school board as an option for new portables in the district. I participated in the introduction day, where students were given the overview of their task, and introduced to the idea that they could market their idea to the district. These students were learning the same basics on marketing and sales that we have reviewed. The need to demonstrate and clearly explain the value and benefits of this unique classroom, and present it backed up with real data…both qualitative and quantitative.

After this introduction I talked with one of the leaders of the SEEDcollaborative, and learned more about their business approach to rolling out their product. Past prototyping but not quite to their first real product, I was interested to hear their approach to actually rolling it out. They are working with a school district in Colorado to have students design their own SEED classroom, and then using sponsored funds to build the project. This is where their marketing comes in, and a great lesson for the students I work with in the PNW. The school district in Colorado, even with the environmental/health/net zero/design engagement benefits and an attractive ROI analysis, did not want to install the classroom. No cost to them, with all the benefits that a living classroom could bring, and the typical public school bureaucratic challenges remained. On a more positive note, yes, they eventually received a green light, and will be installing the room this summer.

This is a great lesson for my students, on how critical your marketing strategy is when presenting a new idea or product. Their target audience will be not only the school board, but the community as a whole since the community is made up of school bond voters. They will have to sell the benefits of a new approach to the traditional classroom, and this will require a flawless understanding of the value it brings.

For me, learning about SEED inspires me to take another look at how start-ups may be more interesting than I first thought. It is important to remember that where I work was once a start-up, and the passion and energy that I so highly value is what helped it to grow. If I can find an opportunity to harness that passion in a new product, service or idea, maybe a startup wouldn’t be as far of a stretch as I imagine it to be. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, Lauren. I liked your post so much that I went out and took a look at the project's website -- always a good measure of whether or not you've engaged me as a reader!

    I think what they're doing is very interesting and I would love to know more about why the Colorado school found this approach so threatening. What were the objections and how were they handled?, to use the sales vernacular.

    I also appreciate the way in which you're learning about yourself, both your native preferences (established) companies and your potential changes (greater openness to start-ups). No right or wrong answer to this one -- and no need to pick a single path, especially not at this point.

    It's all good work...

    ReplyDelete